I have years of experience delivering workshops and speaking on panels, covering a range of topics relating to languages and literature.
I run creative translation workshops, exploring the craft and practice of literary translation, including prose, drama, poetry, literary non-fiction, writing for children, and transcreation for other industries besides publishing. I also run workshops to help translators develop their business and networking skills.
I regularly participate in panel discussions about literature, publishing and translation, and in careers events for schools, universities and early-career translators.
Creative translation workshops
- Ran a translation workshop on The Raven’s Children for students at Cambridge Russian School, February 2019
- I’m the Arabic tutor at Warwick Translates – the literary translation summer school at Warwick University 6-10 July 2019
- Taught Arabic literary translation at Manchester in Translation, February 2019
- Arabic > English translation tutor at Translate in the City – literary translation summer school at City, University of London, 2017
- Literary translation workshop for MA Advanced Arabic students at IMES department, University of Edinburgh, 2017, 2018 and March 2019
- With Shadow Heroes, I give workshops to students aimed at giving an insight into the very varied and fascinating world of translators. Who are translators? And what do they do all day?
Panel discussions about literary translation and publishing
- I’ll be speaking about World Kid Lit and diversity in children’s publishing at this panel at London Book Fair 2019
- I’m chairing a panel discussion with literary translators Nashwa Gowanlock and Jessica West at Anthology Extended, a weekend literary festival hosted by independent bookshop The Suffolk Anthology, 23 March 2019
- Spoke about challenges of translating nonfiction panel at London Book Fair 2018, focusing especially on translating nonfiction
- Discussed children’s books in translation and specifically three Arabic picture books I had translated at London Book Fair 2016
- Translating Gay Identities: I spoke about queer literature in translation from Arabic and Russian, at this panel chaired by Jen Calleja at the British Library, 2017
Professional CPD: training events for translators
- Took part in ITI WRG careers event for early-career freelance translators and translation students at Bath and Bristol universities, Jan 2019
- Seminar about the practicalities of a career as a literary translator for ITI Western Regional Group (if you are a member of ITI, please see the ITI Bulletin winter 2016 issue for a detailed review of this event)
- Outlined routes into freelance translation and tips on maintaining a successful portfolio career as a linguist for students at IMES, University of Edinburgh, 2018
- I’ve talked to students about careers in languages at Newnham College, Cambridge University, the University of Bath and the University of Edinburgh
Language careers: advice for secondary and university students
I’ve curated and hosted lots of fun, practical workshops at secondary and middle schools, aimed at encouraging students to see the practical application of languages and to take a language GCSE at Key Stage 4, or helping broaden language students’ horizons at sixth form.
- I condensed my 15+ years of experience at a language careers speed-dating event at Cheltenham College and a careers seminar at Oundle School
- Introductory Arabic taster sessions (including role play activities for total beginners) for European Day of Languages at many schools including Cheltenham Ladies College and Bredon Hill Academy
- I ran a practical introduction to interpreting event with UN interpreter Helen Reynolds-Brown for AS students at The Cotswold School.