I’m a literary translator working from Arabic, German and Russian into English.
I translate fiction and nonfiction for English-language publishers worldwide. I have a particular interest in history, historical fiction, diverse and inclusive literature, including literature by authors of colour and immigrant writers, and works for children and young adults.
My translations include books from Germany, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine, Russia, Switzerland and Syria, including several award-winning or shortlisted translations. See my full publications list here.
I’m a passionate advocate of world literature for young people and diversity in children’s publishing and education. I’m co-editor of ArabKidLitNow! and Russophone Kid Lit blogs, and I write about global reading for young people at World Kid Lit, Words Without Borders, and World Literature Today. I also promote language learning and creative translation for young people through my workshops in schools, especially in September which is #WorldKidLitMonth and International Translation Day.
- MA in Translation and Interpreting (University of Bath, 2006)
- CIOL Diploma in Translation: from Arabic (2013), from German and Russian (2004)
- MA Oxon Modern and Medieval Languages (University of Oxford, 2003)
- English PEN ‘PEN Translates’ award for Brothers by Jackie Thomae (2022)
- Selected for the IBBY Honour List, with The Raven’s Children by Yulia Yakovleva (2022)
- English PEN ‘PEN Translates’ award for The German Crocodile and Punishment of a Hunter (2020)
- English PEN ‘PEN Translates’ award for A History of the World with the Women Put Back In (2019)
- Shortlisted for the GLLI Translated YA Prize with Trees for the Absentees (2020)
- Shortlisted for the Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize for literary translation from Arabic, with Trees for the Absentees (2020)
- Shortlisted for the Helen & Kurt Wolff Translator’s Prize, with Farewell to the Horse (2019)
- Shortlisted for The Arts Foundation fellowship in literary translation (2016)
- Member of the 2021 judging panel for the Society of Authors/Goethe-Institut Award for Translation from German
- Member of the Society of Authors/Translators’ Association committee, 2019-2021
- Examiner for Edexcel GCSE Arabic and Russian GCSE, and the CIOL Diploma in Translation
- Co-editor of World Kid Lit blog 2018-2021, secretary/administrator of Project World Kid Lit 2019-2023
- ALTA (American Literary Translators Association)
- IBBY UK (International Board on Books for Young People)
- ITI WRG (Institute of Translation and Interpreting Western Regional Group)
- SCBWI (Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators)
- Society of Authors (including the Translators’ Association)